Thursday, February 21, 2008

Time to Polish the Briar



After a couple treatments with salt and alcohol, the pipes are starting to clean up nicely. These things had been the victim of some serious neglect in years gone by. One is completely blocked with gunk and no air at all will pass through it. It took me a lot of pipe cleaners dipped in rum to finally get the inside of the pipe clean and ready for use. Now to focus on the outside of the pipe.

I am starting with the pipe at the top of the photo above. Notice how dark the bowl is. Over the years, dirt and oils from the owners hand and heat from smoking had darkened the coloring of the pipe. I wanted to remove some of this build up on the polish without harming the finish of the pipe itself.

I returned to my trusty Bar Keeper's Friend and gave it a try. I added some to the pipe and gently cleaned it with a cloth. Years of neglect came off the pipe and after a few careful sessions the pipe is several shades lighter than it was and the grain is much more visible now.

I did not want to make it too light so I stopped here and started with the polish. The Bar Keeper's Friend removed the grime, but it left the pipe dull looking. That is where the pipe polish comes into play. I use Paragon wax from Fine Pipes. It is great stuff and best of all, there is no need for a buffer wheel which is great for guys like me who do not have one.

I applied a small amount of wax and worked it into the pipe. Then you let it sit and harden to a dull haze. All you do after that is take a polishing cloth and work it to a shine.


As you can see, the pipe is coming back to it's former glory and will be ready to smoke very soon.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Just wanted to let you know I linked you to my blog last week. By the way, I'm Irish-Dane on CPS. Great site man, love the detail you're dedicating to each step.

Peace.